Vazhakkai podimas is a kerala style side dish we make for lunch. Vazhakkai is the malayalam word for raw banana/Plantain. Podimas means a dish prepared by mixing a grated vegetable with coconuts or onions.
For this recipe, we would need 2 raw bananas, and grated coconuts. We will grate the raw bananas and add coconuts to make this podimas.
Let me show you how to make this recipe within 15 minutes.
1. Cut the raw bananas into two halves. Heat water in a pan and boil the bananas in the pan for 5-10 minutes.
2. During this time, grate ½ the coconuts and keep it aside. If you don’t have a grater, see if you can get ready made grated coconuts from grocery store.
3. Check if the plantains have cooked well. If so, peel their skin and grate the plantains using a grater.
Note: You can check if the plantains have cooked by poking with a knife.Else you can try to peel the plantains skin. If the skin comes out easily, it means they are cooked.
4. Heat oil in a pan. As the oil gets heated, add ½ tbsp. of mustard seeds, ½ tbsp. of urad daal, 2 red chilly(broken into halves), and 5-6 curry leaves. Keep a low flame.
5. As the tempering mix is turning golden brown, add ½ slice of chopped ginger, and 5-6 diced green chilies and the grated raw bananas.
6. Stir it well. Now add the grated coconuts. Add 1 tbsp of salt and ¼ tbsp. of asafetida and mix well.
7. Switch off the flame. Garnish with some fresh curry leaves on top. Your raw banana podimas is ready to be served.
Note:Vazhakka podimas tastes very well with rice and moru curry/pulissery/thenga aracha curry.
Below, you can find a list of plantain podimas recipes, that you may like.
1. KannammaCooks: This site gives you a new type of plantain podimas, where the spices and coconuts are roasted and the mashed vazhakkai is later added to it. Check this recipe.
2. TicklingPalates: This site gives you a much more simpler version of podimas. Here vazhakkai is first boiled and grated. Later it is added to the tempering mix of red chilly, greenchilly, ginger, mustard seeds and urad daal. At last, lemon juice is also added to the mix. That is a good twist, I never thought of. Click the link, to find out more about this recipe.