Onion upma is a very simple upma recipe. You would need semolina(rava), 1 onion, few green-chilies, and mustard seeds. This is a recipe you can prepare in 15 minutes.
If you want to make a quick recipe for breakfast then nothing can beat the combination of upma and chai. Apart from onions, for this recipe I will be adding few fried nuts.
Let me show you, how to make this recipe.
1. Dice 1 onion, 2 green chilly into small pieces. After this step is done, we will prepare the tempering mix for the upma.
2. In a deep frying pan, heat oil. To this add ¼ tbsp. cumin seeds, ½ tbsp mustard seeds, ½ tbsp. of urad daal, 1 dry red chilly (broken into 2 halves into the pan) and 4-5 curry leaves into the mix.
Note: Add mustard seeds first, and after it splutters add the remaining ingredients.
3. Add ¼ tbsp. chana daal, 5-6 cashew nuts , 5-6 groundnuts into the mix. Fry till they are golden brown. Keep a low flame.
4. Now add the diced greenchilies and onions into the mix and fry it well. Add 1tbsp of salt and let the onions cook for 4-5 minutes
Note: Onions needn’t be fried too much. Just a shallow frying would be sufficient.
5. Add 2 and half cup of water into the mix and let it boil for sometime. Add ¼ tbsp. of asafetida into the mix.
Note: For 1 cup of Rava(semolina) add 2 cups of water.
6. Add 1 cup of semolina into the mix in small batches. This is to prevent semolina into forming clumps. Evenly spread them into the boiling water.
7. Mix the semolina well and let it solidify. Switch off the flame once it is solidified.
8. Chop some coriander leaves and garnish on top of your upma. Have a wonderful breakfast with onion-upma and chai!
• If you are a fan of spicy side dishes, you will like the combination of upma with lemon pickle or coconut chutney.
• Or if you have a sweet tooth, you will love upma with sugar.
Below, you can find a list of rava upma recipes, that you may like.
1. FoodViva: Check out this vegetable rava upma recipe from foodviva. Here, they have added a lot of vegetables along with the upma.
2. Syvum: In this link you will find an easy tomato upma recipe made in maharashtrian style. This recipe uses tomatoes, onions and greenchilies. I couldnt see any pictures in the site, but the instructions were simple and straightforward enough. Check this recipe too.