Semiya upma is a variation of the normal upma recipe. In this, instead of powdered semolina we are using long semolina sticks. Apart from this, the rest of the preparation methods are almost the same.
For this recipe, you would need ¾ cup of roasted long semolina sticks, tempering mix(mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal), cashewnuts, groundnuts, 2 red chilies, a small slice of ginger, 3 green chilies, 1 tomato, ½ carrots and coriander leaves. Below, you can see the ingredients.
1. Dice, the tomatoes, ginger, coriander leaves and green chilies and keep aside. Grate the carrots as well. See the pic below.
2. In a pan, heat oil. I have used sunflower oil for this purpose. As the oil gets heated, add the tempering mix, along with some curry leaves.
Add the mustard seeds first. Once, they splutter, add the rest of the mix.
3. As the chana dal slowly starts changing its color from yellow to golden, add the cashews and groundnuts, greenchilies and ¼ tbsp. of hinge(asafetida).
4. As the mix starts to get fried, add in the chopped tomatoes. Close the lid of the pan and cook it for 5 min.
5. Once the tomatoes have just started to become soft, add in 2 cups of water into the pan. Add 1 tbsp of salt and stir well. Keep a medium flame and let the water boil.
6. The water starts boiling after 5-10 min. At this time, add the semolina into the mix. Check the consistency and add ½ cup of water if required. Stir the mix well.
7. Let the semolina, cook in the medium flame for about 5-6 min.
8. After this time, the semolina would have softened up and would have got cooked. At this point switch off the flame.
9. Garnish, the recipe with some chopped coriander leaves. Your semolina recipe is ready to be served.
Before adding the semolina, as the water is getting boiled, you can add ¼ tbsp of lemon juice into the mix. This would give the recipe, a different taste.
For this recipe, I have added only tomatoes. You can try the recipe by adding chopped onions along with it.
Below are a list of recipes, you may want to try. Check them out too and have a wonderful cooking experience in your kitchen.
1. Vegrecipes of India: Check this semiya upma recipe from Vegrecipesof India. Here is the link
2. PadhusKitchen: Check the vermicelli recipe from Padhus kitchen.