Tomato Onion sambar is a breakfast sambar recipe. This recipe, will give you a slight sweet taste due to the presence of onions. When you start your day, it is always good to start with something that is very light, or is sweet. This is what makes this recipe, a very preffered one for breakfast.
If you are making spicy breakfast dishes like pongal, or vada; or even dishes like idli and dosa, I would definitely recommend this recipe, as its sweetness will compliment the spicy flavors of your breakfast dish.
To prepare this recipe, you would be using tomatoes, onions, drumstick(optional), ladies finger and carrots as the major ingredients. Its best if you can find some pearl onions instead of normal onions, though this step is also optional. The entire prep time will take only about 15-20 min.
Let me show you, on how to make this recipe.
1. In a pressure cooker, add 1 scoop of toor daal.
2. Wash it well, add turmeric powder and 1 glass of water to it and let it cook for 10-12 whistles.
3. Boil 2 glasses of water in a pan. To this add 1 chopped lady's finger, 1 chopped tomatoes, 1 chopped drumsticks, 1/2 chopped carrots and 5-6 small onions. Add 1/4 tbsp of turmeric powder and 1 tbsp of salt into the mix and stir it well.
4. Prepare tamarind water by taking 1 small round of tamarind. Mix it in water to prepare tamarind juice.
5. Pour the tamarind juice onto the vegetable mix and let it boil until the vegetables have softened up. Keep it in medium flame.
8. Add 2 tbsp. of sambar powder into water. Mix it well and pour it into the sambar mix. Let it boil another 10 minutes.
9. By this time, the toor daal in cooker would have been ready. Mash the daal with a spatula to form a thick semi gravy.
10. Add 5-6 tbsp of this dal into the sambar mix. Depending on the thickness add more if required and let it boil.
11. As the mix boils add 1/4 tbsp of hinge. Garnish with coriander leaves.
12. Take oil in a pan. Add some mustard seeds, 5-8 karipatha and ¼ tbsp hinge. As the mix gets fried, add the same on top of the Sambar mix.
13. Your tomato onion sambar is now ready to be served.