Mushroom Sauce Recipe – “A mix of juicy, soft mushrooms in a mix of thick gravy of tomatoes.”
Mushrooms, in my opinion are quite bland and tasteless. Mushrooms are usually rich in proteins and have lot of water content in them. But when mixed with the right kind of flavors and masala’s they can yield you a really lip smacking dish.
The mushroom sauce recipe I am making today, is made using a combination of mushrooms, curd and tomatoes. Instead of frying the mushrooms, we will boil the mushrooms in water along with butter. This will give the mushrooms a bit more juicy and will also give a good taste to it.
To add spiciness, we will also use red chilly powder and garam masala. To increase the sourness, we will use 4-5tbsp of beaten curd along with the tomatoes. I have also used kasturi methi leaves and coriander leaves for garnishing.
With that said, let me share with you the recipe steps.
Serves: 3-4 people
• Button Mushrooms – 200gms
• Butter – 50gms
• Onion – 1 (big)
• Tomato – 2
• Green Chilly – 1
• Curd – 4-5tbsp
• Salt -1tsp
• Turmeric Powder – 1tsp
• Red Chilly Powder – ½ tsp
• Garam Masala – ½ tsp
• Kasturi Methi Leaves – ¼ tsp (optional)
• Coriander leaves – 6-7 leaves(chopped)
1. Peel the skin of the mushrooms and dice them into medium sized chunks.
2. In a vessel, add 2 cups of water, and add the mushrooms into it. Add a small piece of butter and ½ tsp of salt into the mix and let the mushrooms cook until the water evaporates.
3. In the meantime, dice 1 onion, 2 tomatoes and green chillies and keep it aside.
4. By this time, the water would have evaporated, and the mushrooms would have become cooked. Keep the mushrooms aside and let them cool down for some time.
5. In a kadai, heat sunflower oil. As the oil starts getting warm, add in the ¼ tsp of jeera. As the jeera starts turning brown, add in chopped green chillies and onions.
6. Add the ½ tsp of salt and let the onions turn brown. Now, add the chopped tomatoes into the mix. Add 1 tsp of turmeric into the mix. Close the lid of the pan, and let the tomatoes cook in it for about 5-10 min.
7. Once the tomatoes are cooked, add in ¼ tsp of red chilly powder and ½ tsp of garam masala into the mix and stir it well.
8. Once the tomatoes are cooked, switch off the flame, and let it cool down a bit. Once the mix, has cooled down, transfer the contents into a mixer and turn it into fine paste.
This is a completely optional step. Since I wanted to give a more creamy texture to my gravy, I have grinded them to paste.
9. In the same kadai, heat the remaining butter. As the butter starts melting, add in the tomato gravy.
10. Finely beat 4-5tbsp of curd in a cup and add it on top of the mix.
11. Now, add the cooked mushrooms into the mix, and stir it well. Cook it for about 4-5 min.
12. Add ¼ tbsp. of kasturi methi leaves on top of the mix and switch off the flame.
13. Garnish the dish with some chopped coriander leaves. Enjoy this wonderful mushroom sauce recipe with roti.