"Kadai Mushroom Gravy recipe- A spicy gravy of mushrooms and bell peppers made in a kadai. This recipe uses fresh masalas and has no onions."
Very recently, I came across a wonderful kadai recipe preparation,that I read from the blog . I really liked their kadai gravy preparation. So, I decided, I would try to make this at home.
Then, it came to the question of what I would be making today.Since, I had never tried making any dishes with mushrooms at home, I came up with this recipe, I am going to share with you.
This recipe is called kadai mushroom gravy recipe. Kadai, in hindi means frying pan. So, this is a recipe, we will be making in a frying pan.For this recipe, I have used mushrooms, capsicum and tomatoes.I haven't used onions in this recipe.But,if you are someone who likes onions do add them.
The general rule of thumb, which many experts in cooking suggest, is that you should make your own masala's. This is a fact, I quite agree with. When you fry and powder your masala's the fresh smell it gives cannot match with the ready-made masala's we get from store.So, for this recipe, I will also show you how to make the masala's.
There is one thing I would like to point out about this recipe.For this recipe you would need to fry the mushrooms first. Mushrooms are really rich in water.They may look fluffy when you buy them from a shop. But when you fry them, the water inside it escapes. To properly fry the mushrooms, you would need atleast 15-20 min of frying time.So, make sure you try this recipe during your weekends, when you have some free time.
Now, that I have explained the details, let us get started with the recipes.First, we will zero in to the ingredients list.
This list will serve about 3-4 people
1.Dry fry 1/2 Cinnamon,2 Cloves,1 Cardamom,2 tbsp coriander Seeds,2 Dry Red Chilly,2 Bay Leaf in a pan.Roast them to golden brown color.
2. Place the contents in a dry mixer grinder jar and powder them well.
3. Chop 3 tomatoes, 2 bellpeppers, 3 greenchilies and keep them aside.
4. In a pan, heat 3tbsp of butter. Keep a medium flame. As the butter starts to melt,add in the chopped mushrooms.
Before chopping, rinse the mushrooms well.I have used butter, to fry the mushrooms because, it gives a rich taste to the dish.You can also use oil instead of butter.
6. Fry the mushrooms till it loses, all of its water content.Once, it has reduced considerably in size and is now properly fried, you can keep it aside.
7. In the same pan, add 1 tbsp of oil and fry 1tbsp of cumin seeds.
8. As the cumin seeds splutter, add in the chopped bell peppers. Add 1 tbsp of turmeric powder, 1 tbsp of salt and fry it well.
9. Once, the bell peppers are fried well, add our powdered masala's into the mix and stir well.
10. Add the chopped tomatoes into the mix.Close the lid of the pan, and let the tomatoes cook for about 5-10 min. Keep a medium flame as you do.
11. The tomatoes would have now become a thick paste. Stir well, and add the fried mushrooms into the mix.
You can add water into the mix, as per the thickness you would like to have.
12.Switch off the flame.Garnish the recipe with some coriander leaves.Your kadai mushroom gravy recipe is ready to be served.