Matar Paneer – “A recipe of paneer and greenpeas mixed in a slightly sweet tomato &cashew gravy”
Here are some key points you should know, before trying out any paneer recipes at home.
I have found that these methods actually work, and will help you make really good paneer recipes.I first tried using this method to prepare paneer makhani at home and it came out really well.
So, I tried it a few times, to check if I can get the same taste each time. Though, the first one was still the best, the other tries did taste quite close to the original. In this post, I will teach you this method.
Before going further into the preparation steps, let me tell you a few things about this matar paneer recipe.
Let us now get started, with the ingredients list and preparation steps now.
This list serves about 3-4 people
• Paneer – 300 gm
• Greenpeas – 50 gm
• Green Chilies – 3
• Coriander Leaves – 10-12 leaves chopped
• Tomato – 3
• Cashewnuts – 50 gm
• Methi/Dry Fenugreek leaves – 1 pinch
• Bayleaf – 1
• Cinnamon Stick – ½
• Cardamom Pods – 1
• Turmeric Powder – 1tbsp
• Red Chilly Powder – ½ tbsp
• Garam Masala Powder – 1tbsp
• Mango Powder – ½ tbsp (optional)
1. Open the green peas from its pods and wash them well. In a vessel add water and add the green peas into it. Let it boil for about 10 min.
2. Soak the cashews in a small bowl for about 5 min. The cashews become really soft and also would absorb water to become big in size.
3. Chop the tomatoes into small pieces and keep them aside.
4. In a frying pan or kadai, heat some butter or ghee. Keep a medium flame as you do.
5. Add the cashews into the mix and fry it till the cashews turn slightly golden brown color.
6. Transfer the cashews into a mixer, and make a really thick paste by adding water into it. Ensure that you add water in small amounts, while you make the paste. Once the paste is ready, keep it aside.
7. In the same frying pan, add bayleaf, cinnamon and cardamom pods. Once the mix turn golden brown, add the chopped tomatoes. Add 1tbp of turmeric powder, and 1 tbsp of salt into the mix and stir it well. Close the lid of the pan, and let the tomatoes cook in it.
8. Once the tomatoes are cooked into a fine paste, add ½ tbsp of red chilly powder and 1 tbsp of garam masala into the mix and stir it well.
9. Add 3 chopped green chilies onto the gravy and mix it well. Add water if required.
I have added about ¼ cup of water, because the gravy looked a little dry.
10. Now add the cashew paste on top of the gravy and stir it well. Add water as per the consistency you need.
11. Add ½ tbsp of mango powder on top of this gravy, and let it boil for 4-5 min.
12. Add the paneer and the peas into the mix, and stir it well. At this stage, you can add 1 pinch of fenugreek leaves on top.
13. Garnish the dish with some chopped coriander leaves.
14. Get ready to enjoy this dish of matar paneer with really soft roti’s.