Keerai mashiyal is a South Indian Tamilnadu style recipe. It is a spinach recipe where you would mash the spinach very well and add some ingredients.
The word mashiyal means something that is mashed, and keerai/cheera means spinach.
This is a really simple spinach recipe, because it takes only 10-15 minutes to make. All you need to do is boil the spinach and add some ingredients.
Let me teach you how to make this recipe then.
1. Take 1 bunch of spinach leaves. I have used palak leaves to make this recipe, as they are easy to cut and cook.
2. Cut them or dice them into fine pieces.
3. Take 2 cups of water in a pan and let it boil. I have used the below glass as the measuring cup.
4. As the water gets boiled, add the spinach leaves into it. Add some turmeric powder, and some salt.
5. Mix it well and close the lid of the pan. Let the spinach cook for 10 minutes.
6. As the spinach gets cooked, it becomes soft and watery. Add some asafetida into it and mash it well.
I have used a masher here, for this purpose. If you don’t have a masher, use the bottom of a glass to mash it well.
7. Open the lid and cook it for some time.
8. As the excess water escapes, and as the mix has become a fine paste transfer the contents to a bowl. Add 2 tbsp of coconut oil onto the mix.
9. Heat oil in the pan.
10. As the oil gets heated, add ½ tbsp mustard seeds, ½ tbsp urad daal, ½ tbsp channa daal, 1 red chilly and 4-5 karipatha leaves.
11. Let the tempering mix roast to a golden brown color. Add ¼ tbsp asafetida and add it on top of the spinach mix in the bowl.Keerai masiyal is ready to be served.
For this recipe, it is important to use coconut oil as it’s the oil that gives a special taste to it.