Fried sweet potatoes, is a dry side dish, that you can have with sambar and rice. This is a tamilnadu style preparation of potato fry, we make in our home. For the fries, we prepare in our homes, we never add onions. Mostly, we will fry the dry red chilies along with sambar powder and mix well with the vegetables to prepare them.
Today’s recipe, is also of the similar mold. This potato recipe will have the sweetness of potatoes and spiciness of sambar powder. Yet, I would say that this recipe is slightly towards the sweeter side. It is an easy recipe, you can make. Let me show you how to make this recipe.
1. Peel the sweet potatoes and dice them into small pieces. Wash and rinse them well.
2. In a frying pan, heat some oil. As the oil gets heated add ½ tbsp. mustard seeds.
3. As the mustard seeds splutter, add ½ tbsp. urad daal, 2 dry red-chilies broken into halves and 4-5 curry leaves.
4. As the tempering mix has become golden brown, add ¼ tbsp. of asafetida powder. To this add the diced sweet potato.
5. Add 1tbsp of salt, ¼ tbsp. of turmeric powder, 1-2 tbsp of sambar powder on top of the potato and mix it well. Close the lid of the pan, and let the mix get cooked in a medium flame for 5-10 minutes.
6. Make sure, the potatoes don’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Stir it occasionally, and add 2-3tbsp of oil.
I have used coconut oil for this purpose. If you can’t get that, use any vegetable oil for this purpose.
7. As the mix gets cooked, add 1/4 tbsp of asafetida on top of the mix and stir it well. Switch off the flame. Your sweet potato fry is now ready to be served.
In case, you find that sambar powder is not available to you, you can use redchilli powder instead.
Below are a list of sweet potato recipes, you may like. Go through these sites and try their recipes out to have a wonderful cooking experience as well.
1. Sharmispassion: Check out this sweet potato fry with onion, garlic, chilli powder and sambar powder.
2. HomeCookRecipe: Here is another sweet potato fry with chilli powder, onion along with easy instructions.Check their site too.