Dal Fry |Simple Dal dish without onion and tomatoes


Dal fry, that I am going to make today, is a recipe made using tur dal also called as sambar dal. Let me tell you something, that you will like to hear about this recipe. It is damn easy to make this recipe. 

In-fact, almost 90% of the work is over, by the time the dal gets cooked(your pressure cooker does the job for you). The remaining 10% is what you will do.

And what is that you ask? Simple! You need to make sure, you keep the dal for enough whistles in the cooker and prepare a tempering mix to pour on top of the dal. I will show you how to do that, in the preparation steps section.

I had initially planned to add a tadka/tempering of fried onions, tomatoes and chilies on the dal. But as luck would have it, a few visitors dropped in my house without notice.With little time left, I resorted to this simple method, which I will show you in a moment.

Dal Fry - Ingredients List

This ingredients list will  serve about 3-4 people. 

For Recipe

  • Toor Dal - 1/2 cup
  • Turmeric Powder - 1tsp 
  • Salt - 1-2 tsp

For tempering

  • Ghee - 1tbsp
  • Jeera/Cumin Seeds - 1tsp 
  • Green chilies - 3 
  • Red chilly -2
  • Curry leaves - 5-6
  • Jeera Powder -1/4 tsp (Optional)
  • Asafetida - 1/4 tsp 
  • Coriander leaves - 5-6

Dal Fry - Preparation Steps

1. Take ½ cup of tur dal and wash it very well. Rinse it thrice, to remove any impurities in the dal.


2. Keep the dal in the pressure cooker, and pour about 1-2 cups of water. Add ½ tbsp. of turmeric and 1 tbsp of salt. Close the lid and cook it for 15-20 minutes. That’s about 8-10 whistles.


3. After the dal has been cooked very well, pour the dal into a sauce pan and heat it for some time. Add 1/4 tbsp of haldi.



Add 1 cup of water if required. Make sure, that you don’t add too much water and make the dal thin.

4. In a frying pan, heat ghee. Oil is also fine, but ghee is better. To this add jeera/cumin seeds.


5. Slit 3 green chilies from center and add it to the ghee. Also add 2 red chilies and 5-6 curry leaves. 


Add ¼ tbsp. of jeera powder to this tempering mix. 

6. As the cumin seeds turn golden brown, Add ¼ tbsp. of hinge(asafetida) and pour it on top of the dal.


7. Turn off the flame. Chop coriander leaves and garnish on top of the mix.

8. Your dal fry is ready to be served.

Few facts to know about dal recipe

  • Dal fry, is more common in North part of India than the South. It is a recipe you can have for lunch or for dinner. Either way, it is simple and easy to make and you will love it. 
  • Make sure, you use ghee or butter to fry the tempering. The taste is really worth it.
  • You can also sqeeze 1-2tbsp of lemon juice on top of this mix to enhance its taste. 

You may also like these recipes

Below are a list of dal fries, you may like. Check these websites and try out their recipes too. 

1. Spiceupcurry: This site gives a jain style moong dal recipe(Green color dal) in which tomatoes are added to the tempering. She has also added jaggery to the mix. Here is the link to the recipe. 

2. Hamareerasoi: This site gives a wonderful toor dal recipe without onion or garlic especially aimed at bachelors. The great thing about this recipe, is that, first you will fry the tempering in the cooker along with tomatoes, add tur dal to it and cook the mix. Here, is the link to the recipe. Check it out.

› Dal fry

› Dal fry