Carrot thoran is an easy to make lunch side dish, that can me made by grating carrots and coconuts. All you would need to have is a 3-4 grated carrots and ½ the grated coconuts. 90% of the work to make the recipe is over by then. The last 10% goes into tempering the mix.
This recipe is a slightly sweet recipe due to the carrots and grated coconuts. We will be adding a few dry red chilies to make it spicy.
Whenever, you want to make a lunch for just 2 people, or when you have run out of ideas and you just want to make something, I would recommend this dish.
A gravy I would personally recommend for you to have along with this thoran would be rasam. Reason is that, rasam being a very tangy and spicy gravy goes along with the slightly sweet taste of carrots. If you have a monsoon climate out there, then this is the go to recipe.
Anyways, let me cut my stories and teach you how to prepare this recipe. Lets get started.
1. Peel the skin of the carrots and grate it finely into a bowl. For this recipe, I have used about 4 carrots.
2. Grate ½ the coconuts and keep it aside. We would only be using around 7-8 tbsp of coconuts for our recipe.
3. Heat oil in a pan. As the oil gets heated, add in ½ tbsp mustard seeds.
4. As the seed splutters, add in ½ tbsp of urad dal, 2 dry red chilies into the mix.
5. As the tempering mix is getting golden brown, add in the grated carrots and mix well.
6. Add 1tbsp of salt and ¼ cup of water into the mix. Keep a medium flame and cook it in the open.
Take care not to add too much of water into the mix as it would make the carrots very soggy.
7. Once, the carrots have got cooked, as you can observe from their color change, add in the grated coconuts into the mix.
I have sprinkled coconuts, using my fingers. Now, if you are doing it for the first time, I would say, that you take about 7-8 tbsp of grated coconuts.
8. Mix the dish well, and switch off the flame. Garnish, it with fresh curry leaves. Your carrot stir fry is ready to be served.
Below are a list of recipes you may like. Check them out as well.
Carrot stir fry : Check this fried carrot dish with onions and green chilies.
Carrot fry with ginger: Check this recipe made with ginger and carrots.