Beans thoran is a kerala style recipe of beans prepared using coconuts. It is a dry recipe, that goes well with rice and sambar. It is an easy to make, and takes around 20 minutes to prepare.
Let me share how to make this recipe.
1. Dice the beans into small pieces and keep it aside.
2. Scrape ½ the coconuts and keep it aside. We would be using only 5-6 tbsp of coconuts from this.
3. In a frying pan, heat oil. As the oil gets heated, add mustard seeds, urad daal and 1 red chilly.
4. As the mix is roasted to golden brown, add the beans into it. Pour ¾ cup of water into the pan and let the beans cook in it. Add 1tbsp of salt and 1/4 tbsp of turmeric powder and close the lid.
5. Check if the beans have softened up after 5 minutes and give a gentle stir.
6. In the mean time, take a mixer, add 5-6tbsp of grated coconuts, 1 redchilly and 3-4 cumin seeds and give a single stir in the mixer.
7. Open the lid and cook the beans for 3 minutes. Make sure the beans are cooked or has softened up. Ensure that excess water has been removed.
8. Keeping a very low flame and add the grated coconut mix into the pan and stir it well.
9. Switch off the flame after stirring. The thoran is ready to be served.
• Once your beans are cooked make sure you don’t have water in the pan. Filter out the excess water if necessary.
• If you don’t have a mixer no need to grind red chilly and coconuts together. After the beans are cooked, you can add the grated coconuts on top of it and give it a stir.
Here, I have included some of other variations of beans recipes from very good sites. Go through them and try them out in your kitchen.
1. MariasMenu : In MariasMenu she makes the beans along with carrots and coconuts. Looks really crisp and yummy.
2. Pachakam: This site is also one of the very good sites that write about kerala recipes. Try their beans recipes.