Aloo Bhindi – A gravy recipe made from Potato (Aloo) and Lady’s Finger (Bhindi/Okra).
What shall I make for dinner tonight? If this is a reeling question you are with at the moment, I have a great dinner recipe for you.
If you have some left over potatoes and some okra/ ladies finger in your fridge, then tonight let us toss them together with some Indian spices and make Aloo aur Bhindi ki sabji.
To give you a small introduction, aloo bhindi is a gravy dish where we prepare the gravy and add fried potatoes and lady’s finger into it. The gravy for this dish is a mix of onions, tomatoes and cumin seeds.
This is a punjabi dish where ghee will be used for frying the vegetables.
First the bhindi/ okra and potatoes needs to be fried seperately. This makes sure, that the bhindi’s don’t become soggy and after getting the masalas coated in it, gives a beautiful taste.
Here are the list of ingredients for this recipe. This list serves for 3 people.
• Lady’s Finger – 250 gm
• Potatoes – 2 medium or 1 big
• Tomatoes – 2
• Green chilly – 3
• Garlic – 4-5 slices
• Ginger – 1 slice
• Coriander leaves – ½ cup chopped
• Turmeric Powder – ½ tbsp
• Garam Masala – 1 tbsp
• Coriander Powder – 1 tbsp
• Red Chilly powder – ½ tbsp
• Mango Powder – ¼ tbsp ( Optional)
• Salt – 1 tbsp
• Lemon Juice – 2-3 tbsp
Excited? Let’s get started.
1. Dice 2 medium sized potatoes/ 1 large potatoes and 250 gm of lady’s finger into small pieces.
How to check if lady’s finger is fresh? – Just break the tail portion with your thumb. If it breaks with crisp sound, it’s fresh.
2. Heat about 2 tbsp of butter or ghee into the pan. As it gets heated, fry the lady’s finger, until its sides turn brown. Repeat the same process for the potatoes. Once, they are fried keep them aside.
Make sure, you wash the lady’s finger well, as this reduces the chances of it sticking into your pan.
3. Dice 1 onion, 3 green chilies, 4-5 garlic florets and 1 big slice of ginger.
4. Heat 2 tbsp of ghee in a pan. As it gets heated, add in 1 tbsp cumin seeds. As the seeds splutter add in the 3 diced green chilies, and crushed ginger and garlic.
5. As the garlic pieces, start turning brown, add in the onions. Add ¼ tbsp of salt to help the onions loose water quicker.
6. As the onions start turning brown, add in ½ tbsp turmeric powder, 1 tbsp coriander powder, ½ tbsp red chilli powder and 1 tbsp of garam masala powder. Stir well.
7. Add in the diced tomatoes and sprinkle little bit of water and close the lid of the pan. Keep a medium flame as you do so.
8. Once the tomatoes are cooked, the gravy becomes thick. Add water in small batches based on the consistency required.
9. As the oil starts leaving the sides of the pan, and the gravy thickens, add in the fried lady’s finger and potatoes and mix it well. If needed add water and let the ingredients cook in it for about 10 min.
10. As you boil, the masalas get settled and the gravy thickens. At this time, add in ¼ tbsp of mango powder.
If you don’t have mango powder, skip this step. You can squeeze in lemon juice in the end.
11. Switch off the flame. Chop some coriander leaves and garnish on top of this dish. Aloo bhindi recipe is ready to be served.
Aloo Bhindi, is a recipe that will go very well with white rice and roti. My personal favorite is to have it along with rice and curd. Try it out and let me know.
You can also read the full benefits of Okra from this site.